Maingot Violin Scholarships
Working in partnership with the Maingot Charitable Trust and Chetham's School of Music, the Maingot Violin Scholarship Programme provides weekly violin lessons and performing opportunities to 15 children from Plymouth Grove, Claremont, St Mary's and St Cuthbert's primary schools.
The 3-year project aims to provide children from low-income families (i.e. children eligible for free school-meals) regular violin lessons from a professional violin pedagogue from the Royal Northern College of Music, helping children who might otherwise not be able to afford private music lessons the opportunity to explore, and reach, their musical potential.
In addition to weekly violin lessons (taught 4 pupils to 1 teacher), Maingot Violin Scholars also receive:
- A high quality violin, loaned to each pupil
- Weekly musicianship classes, including aural, notation and theory training
- Entrance and participation in ABRSM examinations, allowing them to work with professional piano accompanists
- Participation in performances and visits to Chetham's Music School
- Mentoring from sixth form students from Chetham's
- External performance opportunities at venues across the city.
Participation is completely free of charge to partner schools and parents. The project is scheduled to run from 2019-2021, with all participating pupils predicted to have achieved ABRSM Grade 1 Violin or higher by the end of Year 6.